One of the most appealing things about the game of blackjack (or Vingt-et-Un in French)
is that players will only have to go against the dealer and not their peers. This is a great way for shy gamblers to take apart in one of the best casino games in existence.
Furthermore, blackjack is definitely one of the most popular games offered in online casinos because of its low house edge and easy to follow rules. Well, the game only has one objective and that is to beat the dealer’s hand by getting a pair of cards that amount to 21 or close to the said number.
Read further to find all of the basic information that you need to know about the game.
How the Game Begins
The game starts by placing your original bets to a special part of the table (everything is indicated so you don’t have to worry). Once the bets are made, the dealer will then draw some cards from a shuffled pile known as the shoe.
From there, the dealer will hand out one card after another in a clockwise fashion, assuming that there are other players at the table.
Despite the fact that some people might join you in a game, each player will only have to go up against the dealer and no one else.
Once every player gets their pair of cards, the dealer will draw two cards for him/herself. The good thing is that one of the dealer’s cards will be revealed to you and the other one (also known as the hole card) will be put face-down.
After everyone gets their pair of cards, the dealer will then ask every player what they want to do. Here are some of the commands that you can do at this point in the game:
- Stand– You can choose to stand if you are already satisfied with the cards that you have
- Hit– This is done whenever you are not satisfied with your cards. The ‘hit’ is basically where the dealer will give you another card from the shoe in the hopes of getting a much better value card
- Split– If you happen to get a pair of cards of the same value (such as a pair of 5s), you will be given the option to split. When you split, the cards will be separated into two pairs and these pairs of cards can be used one after the other. As a result, you are also recommended to double your bets in the process
- Double Down– If you are somehow okay with your cards but you still want to get another one to get a much better value, you can decide to double down on your original bet. As the name implies, you are asked to either match or wager a higher amount than your original bet and you will get one (and only one) card in return
- Surrender– If you decide to surrender, you will bow out of the game but you still get half of your original wager
Keep in mind that all of these moves are done using hand gestures since everything is recorded on camera and hand motions are the only things that the pit boss can see.